District Mission Statement
District and school-based Title I Parent Involvement Programs in Polk County will strive to build RELATIONSHIPS to create real family engagement for every child, every family, every teacher, every day
Title I Overview
Components of TITLE I are:
- Effective Instruction
- Profession Development
- Parental Involvement
Studies show that the more parents are involved in the education of their child, the more academically successful that child will be. he goal of the Title I Parent Involvement program is to give school-based Parent Involvement Facilitators information, materials and resources to enable them to provide for their parents at the school-level. It is the job of the Facilitator to give parents the tools and resources necessary for them to help their child at home. Everyone working together in this way give the child the best possible support for doing well in school.
Explanation of State and District Test Scores
The Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test® (FCAT) is part of Florida’s overall plan to increase student achievement by implementing higher standards. The FCAT, administered to students in grades 3-11, consists of tests that measure selected benchmarks in mathematics, reading, science, and writing from the Sunshine State Standards (SSS). Participating students include all students working toward a standard high school diploma, including English Language Learners (ELLs) and students with disabilities. Grade 3 students must earn an FCAT Reading score of Level 2 or higher on a scale of 1 – 5 in order to be promoted to grade 4. Requirements of FCAT scores for passing to the next grade level may be found in the district’s Pupil Progression Plan. The best understanding of a student’s academic achievement comes from looking at multiple pieces of evidence (including FCAT scores) collected over time. Developmental Scale Scores were introduced in
2002 to track student progress over time and across grade levels to indicate student “growth,” or “learning gains.” For this reason, they are the scores students and parents receive on their FCAT Reading and FCAT Mathematics Student and Parent Reports. By using FCAT Developmental Scale Scores, parents can monitor their student’s academic progress from one grade to the next. By
comparing a student’s scores in the same FCAT subject for two or more years with the associated mean scores (or with the various Achievement Levels) for those years, it is possible to identify whether a student’s performance improved, declined, or remained consistent.
Useful Links and Resources
The District Title One office has now developed the Parent Involvement
webpage on the PCSB website. Please go to the web address to find helpful
resources for parents!
- Link to Title 1 page
- District Title I Parent Involvement Plan a plan that helps parents have more information about parent involvement on the district level.
- District Title I Parent Involvement Plan Summary a summary of the Parent Involvement Plan—shorter version of the more detailed plan.
- District Title I Parent and Family Engagement Plan (PFEP)
- District Title I Parent Involvement Plan Summary (Spanish)
- District Title I Parent Involvement Plan Summary (Haitian-Creole)
- Parent Guide
- School Parent Involvement Plan a detailed plan that helps parents understand and take part in what the school is doing.
- School Improvement Plan
- School PFEP Summary a summary of the Parent Involvement Plan—shorter version of the more detailed plan.
- School PFEP Summary (Haitian-Creole)
- School PFEP Summary (Spanish)
- School-Parent Compact a plan developed jointly with school staff and parents that explains what teachers, other school staff, and parents need to do to help children meet state education in standards.
- School-Parent Compact (Haitian-Creole)
- School-Parent Compact (Spanish)
- Parent Information Resource Center (PIRC) Letter
- Parent Center
- Parent Newsletter
- Parent University:
- School Public Accountability Report
- Right to Know letter a letter to all parents describing the Annual Yearly Progress of Elbert Elementary school based on last year’s FCAT data; this letter explains how our students scored on the FCAT compared to the district and state averages; this letter also describes the steps that are being taken to make improvements at the school and ways that parents can help their children at home.
- School-Parent Compact (Haitian-Creole)